Erinina Marie's Reviews > The Empty Space: A Book About the Theatre: Deadly, Holy, Rough, Immediate

The Empty Space by Peter Brook

May 31, 07

Read in June, 2006

The Empty Space by Peter Brook

This book was very hard to get into for me, but after the first section, I couldn’t put it down, it was very inspiring. The book is divided into four sections about modern theater: Deadly, Holy, Rough and Immediate. I believe the problem in getting into it is Mr. Brook’s decision to begin with Deadly theater, which is essentially a tirade against all of the crap that most theater artists hate about popular, commercial theater. While I can empathize with this tirade, no one wants to begin a book with venting. The next sections however were very inspiring about the kind of theater that we want to do in this modern age (granted the book is a bit outdated). I found myself lost in the distinctions a bit though. To me, I don’t see as clearly cut lines between the work of Brecht and Grotowski for instance. Perhaps though this way of looking at the two theories as in harmony more than in opposition is a development in our post modern way of thinking since the writing of this work. I’m glad that I read it though in the end. Since I can’t be working on a piece right now, I might as well be studying my art. Hopefully I’ll have some pieces to work with more actively soon.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Empty Space.