Nicole (Reading Books With Coffee)'s Reviews > Jamba Juice Power

Jamba Juice Power by Stan Dembecki

Jan 24, 12

bookshelves: non-fiction, cookbooks, food, 2011
Read in March, 2011 — I own a copy

It’s an interesting book: part recipes, part history 0f Jamba Juice, part nutrition and part lifestyle guide.

The really brief history of Jamba Juice was really interesting, and I would have liked to see a more detailed history. However, that can be resolved by googling Jamba Juice.

I could have done without the nutrition section, most of which I already knew, and is common sense. I did like how how he put it on a basic level. I also didn’t care for the details on their different boosts, and what goes into the boosts.

There’s a 21-day guide to being more healthy. The reasoning behind 21 days (according to Perron) is that 21 days is how long it takes to form a habit, so by the end of 3 weeks, the reader should be well on their way to a better mind and body. However, all of the advice is very practical and easy to work into your daily life.

The smoothie and juice recipes were my favorite part, because who doesn’t love a good smoothie? However, a lot of the smoothies had over 500 calories, with one clocking in at an astounding 880 calories! I don’t know about anyone else, but when I think smoothies, I think healthy and good for you. The fact that frozen yogurt/sherbert is used in a lot of the smoothies are the likely culprit behind it, and could probably be substituted with something else. Assuming you’re eating 2,000 calories a day, you’re drinking drinking anywhere from 25% to nearly 50% of your calorie intake for the day. Knowing that, I’d probably drink these particular smoothies every once in a while, and not everyday. I don’t count calories or anything, but I’d rather not drink 25% of calories, even if it has fruit in it.

I also liked the juice section, which thankfully had a lot less calories then a lot of the smoothies, although I wished it had been a little longer. Again, that’s something I can probably google.

There’s also a glossary, which I could have done without, but it’s probably good for those who want to know what the different terms mean. There’s a resource section as well- although I have no idea how accurate it is now, since I’ve had the book for a few years. All the government websites (the CDC, NIH, etc) are up-to-date but some of the others, I’m not so sure about. And there is a recommended product page, which is nice if you’re in the market for a blender and/or juicer.

I give it a 3 out of 5. It’s more of a lifestyle book as opposed to smoothies and juice. I was expecting it be more Jamba Juice, although I’ve only been to Jamba Juice a few times, and it’s been a while since I’ve stopped by. I was expecting a lot more smoothies, and more of the history of Jamba Juice. I was slightly disappointed with the smoothies, but still yummy.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jamba Juice Power.