Claudia's Reviews > The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald

Mar 21, 2011

bookshelves: 2011-book-challenge-150-books, sci-fi-fantasy
Read in March, 2011

Haven't seen the film -- don't want to, but this was entirely delightful. Now, I haven't read a LOT of Fitzgerald, but I don't remember an affectionate, ironic tone like this in his other works. Benjamin, born to a 'good' Baltimore family, was a disappointing surprise for his father: he was born 70 years old, and demanded clothes that were NOT infant clothes, AND a cane when he walked out of the hospital. There are moments of gentle, sardonic humor; there are moments of ironic insights...and through it all, there is Benjamin, never quite fitting in. Comfortable, for a while, shooting the breeze with his grandfather; comfortable, for a while, in college. Comfortable, for a while, as a companion to his grandson. But, the end comes for Benjamin, as it must come for us all.

He never fit in. No one ever understood him. But through it all he was cheerful. Except as his beautiful young wife continued to age properly and he aged to become younger and younger.

A little gem...not really sci-fi. Not fantasy. I think it would be fascinating to talk to a group of students who'd just slogged through GATSBY, to see what sense they make of this one. I also think it would be fun to read it several times...at different ages, to see what we think of Sweet Benjamin.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Aahh, I see you are not a Fitzgerald fan. I've always enjoyed him, and really liked Gatsby. I haven't read this one though, and it must seem odd as a work of Fitzgerald. Let me guess, you prefer Faulkner?

Claudia I LOVE Gatsby...My mom was a ZELDA fan, so in my house that meant you believed that Scott stole all his best ideas from her and didn't give her credit! :) I think he DID take advantage of her, but I know he's the better talent...Paulkner? Not so much...I DO love 'A Rose for Emily!' I may be more of a Hemingway fan...Look at all the influences we have on our reading life!