Nicholas Olivo's Reviews > Dead To Me

Dead To Me by Anton Strout

Apr 06, 11

Read from March 21 to 29, 2011

Dead To Me, by Anton Strout, follows Simon Canderous, a recently recruited agent of the Department of Extraordinary Affairs. Simon has psychometric powers, which allow him to glean information about objects and people by touching them. This makes it difficult for him to have relationships with other people, as just being around their stuff can be mentally overwhelming.

This book got off to a slow start, but by chapter three, it had hit its stride and we really get a taste of Simon's daily life and the oddities he deals with. He and his partner encounter a ghost who hasn't fully realized she's dead yet. As they try to piece the details of her demise together, they uncover a cult that's doing some rather unpleasant things to the spirits in New York.

The book is packed with snarky humor and clever one liners. I especially liked the pamphlet titles that Simon was forced to read during his training. It really helped give a picture of the organization he's working for.

Simon himself is an ex-thief who decided to turn his life around. He doesn't carry a gun, but has a retractable bat. I give style points on that one, and we get the added bonus of Simon throwing out some cheeky remark before doing battle with zombies, cultists, or animated furniture. His partner, Connor, is slightly more seasoned, but has his fair share of zingers too. Jane, the innocent girl turned-bad-turned-good-again is also a lot of fun to read. You have to love a girl who will write an entry in her diary while she's staking out an assassination target.

All in all, this book is a fun read and a good story. I look forward to reading more of Simon's adventures.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead To Me.