Scribs's Reviews > The Stolen One

The Stolen One by Suzanne Crowley

F 50x66
Mar 21, 11

Kat was raised by a woman not her mother (Grace), who claimed no one wanted Kat. Grace taught Kat how to embroider until her skills grew proficient enough to earn a good living for their family. Grace's own daughter, Anna, is deaf but can read lips and is as close to Kat as a real sister. Christian, a handsome shepherd boy living next door, asks Kat to marry him, but Kat feels she cannot answer him until she finds out the truth of her parents and her birth. When Grace dies, Kat moves to the capital to seek out those answers, and finds an unlikely ally in the queen herself.

I thought the premise of this book sounded interesting--beautiful gowns, Queen Elizabeth, a spunky female character. I liked the kindly woman who took Kat and Anna in when they reached the city. I liked Kat's maid and I loved the descriptions of the gowns. I enjoyed the fact that you didn't quite know whether or not the queen is good until the very end of the book. I liked that Crowley was not afraid to kill off characters.

However, I felt that while a promising idea, the execution was not quite good enough to deserve four stars. The writing was near flawless but not very inspiring. I got annoyed with Kat halfway through the book for loving Christian and still fooling around with the stupid pages and such as court. I didn't feel like the atmosphere of the court was complete, since we got to know so few characters there. There were mention of advisors to the queen--who were they? I think that would have helped the ending to be a little more believable. Also, wolves show up a lot in the beginning then we don't see them again? And random ghosts? What happened there? I didn't understand.

Content Warning: Mention of teenage sex as early as 14 years old, extra-marital affairs, and sensuality. Recommended for 16+
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Stolen One.