Jennifer Conner's Reviews > The Realm of Possibility

The Realm of Possibility by David Levithan

F_50x66
Mar 21, 11

bookshelves: engl-492

"Here's what I know about the realm of possibility-- it is alwys expanding, it is never what you think it is.Everything around us was once deemed impossible...And yet, every day we each do so many things that were once impossible to us." This book is filled with poems straight from the mind of teenagers. These twenty or so youths write many poems about pressing topics on the mind of teenagers everywhere. The subjects of their work include: teenage love, peer pressure, homosexuality, smoking, alcohol, and peer rivalry. I think this is an expert compilation of poems that encompass a wide range of topics.

I really enjoyed reading this book. It was easy to relate to some of the poems, remembering my teenage years. I really enjoyed Levithan's collected works from different perspectives. I thiought he offered a fresh approach to a collection of poetry.

As a future English teacher, I would enjoy teaching this book to my students. I think it approaches many of the topics that my teenage students will have to deal with on a daily basis. These poems would hopefully give them the insight on such topics from another point of view. I could easily teach this book as an introduction to a poetry. Hopefully, providing the students with works of poetry written by students such as themselves would spark their interest in the subject. The topics of these poems relate to many other works created that are part of the high school curriculum.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Realm of Possibility.