Melindeeloo's Reviews > 666 Park Avenue

666 Park Avenue by Gabriella Pierce

Mar 21, 2011

bookshelves: witches-wizards-mages-sorcerers
Read in March, 2011

About half way through reading this story, I notice how extremely stressed out 666 Park Avenue was making me feel, as Jayne's engagement to a rich and handsome American goes from fairytale to nightmare - wedding planning with a Mother-in-law-to-be from hell and absent groom-to-be ....ACK! But once our bride-to-be heroine who has left her life and career in France behind to pursue her happily ever after with her prince in New York, finally discovers the truth behind her situation - and starts to act to manage the situation, instead of just being victimized by it - I actually ended up really liking the book.

I thought that author Pierce did a really good job with her cast. I really liked Jayne's allies on her quest to learn about the witch powers and heritage that had been hidden from her: Maeve, her brother and Dee are all quite likable, as is Jayne herself. I also liked that, with the exception of the Wicked Witch of the East and her henchman Juri, the author managed some sympathy for another character who ends up being neither white or black. Probably my only nit in the character department is that while I did like Jayne and how well she adapted to New York after living in Paris, fairly quickly she stopped feeling French to me at all (or at least someone who had been living in France since childhood.)

But above all, I was happy that Jayne, actually had to work at developing her powers instead of being instantly competant. This is so refreshing in a series starter and it means that there is promise for the next book - since there is no guarantee that Jayne will win her first battle here and the war has just begun. I was lucky enough to get a free ARC of this book through the Amazon Vine but I will definitely be purchasing the sequel Dark Glamour (aug 2012).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 666 Park Avenue.