Ollie's Reviews > Warrior's Rise

Apr 10, 11

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, book-review-request
Read from April 02 to 06, 2011

Review by Ollie for bittenbyparanormalromance

Warrior's Rise by LJ DeLeon is an intriguing urban fantasy filled with mystical creatures vying on saving Earth and the ethereal Otherworld from the evil Dark Lord. The survival of both worlds rests on Deva a half-Fae, half-human who has been chosen by the Goddess to be the ultimate warrior and protector against evil forces. Deva along with her full-blooded Fae soulmate, Padraig and her adopted family consisting of weres, mages and a gargoyle work together to organize and mobilize Earth's defenses against the demons emerging through portals to destroy Earth.

The story is quite interesting as it dwells in detail on the various magical creatures that exist alongside humans who have now revealed themselves in order to help save humans and Earth from the invasion of demons set on domination. What I perhaps enjoyed the most about the book is the growing strength in Deva as she slowly began to accept and grow in her role as the protector of Earth yet still remaining humble and staying true to the Light. The growing love between her and Padraig was beautiful as it showed how they gained strength from each other to overcome their fears and perceived weaknesses through their love and compassion for each other.

There was only one detailed love scenes between Deva and Padraig and I wished we had more because I would have wanted to hear more about how their love grew from attraction and a feeling of connection to unconditional, devoted love. However I can understand why this was not focused. As I read this book I understood that the main theme of this story was not the love between Deva and Padraig but the battle between the forces of good and evil and the sacrifices and anguish that occurs in war.

Readers are engaged to wonder what will happen next as surprise alliances and foretold futures are revealed in this futuristic tale of humans and paranormal creatures fighting side by side to save Earth. If you enjoy urban fantasy novels filled with mythological creatures, plots twist and battles between the forces of good and evil then you will enjoy Warrior's Rise.

4 Stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Warrior's Rise.