kolibri's Reviews > Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress

Mar 21, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: reviewed, gilmore-girls
Read in August, 2009

Luo and our unnamed protagonist are sent to a withdrawn mountain in China for re-education. They belong to the middle class which is to drive out of them so they could become obedient and simple people under their leader Mao Tsetung. Luo falls in love with the daughter of the mountain's tailor, the little Chinese Seamstress. To overcome the hard life at the mountain they read western literature which earlier they acquired from a former friend. The books are forbidden but some time later help to save the little Chinese Seamstress from misfortune.

The story was easy to follow but in my eyes nothing special. Actually I missed some action. I thought the characters to be without depth, maybe because of their young age. The fact that the author himself made experiences with re-education when he was young is interesting. Because of this the story surely won in importance when one is interested in this theme.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress.