Kirsty's Reviews > The Perfect Murder

The Perfect Murder by H.R.F. Keating

Apr 03, 11

bookshelves: fiction, amazon-vine, arc-review-copy, mystery-thriller
Recommended to Kirsty by: Review copy from Amazon Vine
Read from March 31 to April 03, 2011

I had high hopes for this novel. The premise was interesting and I like mystery and thriller novels. I also love to read about other cultures and so I was looking forward to reading this story set in India. To be honest I felt a little let down.

The plot started with promise - Inspector Ghote is given a murder case to investigate and is asked to take with him a Swedish criminologist who is there to report on the Bombay police department's functionality. He's also told to investigate the number one priority case of the theft of a rupee (yes one single rupee) from the Minister of Police Affairs' office. Along the way he is met with eccentric characters, unco-operative witnesses and lots of dead ends.

My problem was that all of the characters in this book irritated me in one way or another. I couldn't connect with any of them. There wasn't much characterisation of the protagonist and the unco-operativeness of the witnesses just made me want to scream. The plot moved along at a good pace but I think that the book could have been 100 pages shorter and the author still could have gotten in everything he needed to.

As to the conclusion, I normally love a mystery/thriller where I can try to piece the evidence together to see if I can solve it myself before the revelation, but it just wasn't possible with this book. I can't say too much without revealing spoilers so I will just say that I became very frustrated in the last third of the book.

This book did keep my interest but, ultimately, it was just average.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Perfect Murder.

04/02/2011 page 48