jennifer's Reviews > Cream Puff Murder

Cream Puff Murder by Joanne Fluke

Mar 27, 11

Read from March 21 to 27, 2011

I can see how slowly I've moved this month but it couldn't be helped. I'm expecting my fourth visitor of the month tomorrow and I'm just beat. I was able to finish this bit of fluff though.

Cookie shop owner Hannah begins working out with her sister at the local gym in order to shed a few pounds in time for their mother's book launch. Some of the classes are taught by Ronnie, a predatory woman who is loathed by every other female in town and who ends up dead in the gym jacuzzi. Hannah's boyfriend, her sister Michelle's boyfriend and her sister Andrea's husband are all sheriffs, but are taken off the case because they were all involved with the victim. So Hannah, her other boyfriend, Norman, her sisters and their mothers all work to find the killer and clear the men of murder.

Sound silly? It is. This is, I believe, the eleventh book of the popular series, and it's so unbelievably g-rated that even Disney would wonder where the action is. It's almost completely violence-free and the characters are as chaste as the Amish. Even when spending the night at Norman's, her supposed ex-fiancee, Hannah sleeps in a separate room. Not that I thought Norman was into it, what with his love of his cat, Cuddles, and his figuring out the calorie count of Hannah's food. But three sisters finding out that their partners are all suspected of having an affair with the town slut, and not a single fistfight? No "You motherf-----!"? Has the woman who writes these ever met a woman?
So I found this to be an easy-to-read bit of nothing and I think I will give up on culinary mysteries at this point. No hard feelings. BUT I will look into Fluke's recipes more because the ones in this book look really good. So that gets the book an extra half point.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cream Puff Murder.