Vicky's Reviews > The Diary of Anaïs Nin, Vol. 1: 1931-1934

The Diary of Anaïs Nin, Vol. 1 by Anaïs Nin

199895
Mar 21, 2011

bookshelves: journals, favorites, on-writing, anaïs-nin
Read from November 30 to December 27, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: 1

Angela Anaïs Juana Antolina Rosa Edelmira Nin y Culmell (lol wow, 8 names)
Born February 21, 1903 (Neuilly-sur-Seine, Paris)
Died January 14, 1977 (Los Angeles, California)

Touching every theme of my life esp. post-college, this is a personal self-help book, an emblem of life-affirmation, a material positive mantra, and with all that I wanted to underline and reactions I wanted to note, this first volume also felt like it was the diary of Vicky Lim: the channel of creative activity, the reconciliation of illusions and disillusions with life, dropping pretenses, autodidact, analysis this and that, just so incredible. Read this over a period of a month. Never thought I would approach her 7-volume diary, but the prose is so fluid, nearly every page is a joy.

In particular I have this repeating image of Anais and Allendy when he admired her aquarium, the fish and plants made of glass. Instantly she asks him if she could give him one for his upcoming birthday, and he accepts. A page or so later, she is working on the aquarium for him when the phone rings. The call is not important but it's just the detail of everyday life, of doing something for someone when they are not looking, that really charms me. I can't believe she spent an entire month's earnings on a chauffeur to pick up Allendy and take him from point A to point B like magic just so that he doesn't have to be a common man and commute longly on the train! The givingness of Anais impresses me, the warmth of her, so much, I love her.

==========
edit #1: omg, I have to read the unexpurgated diaries too, I knew those editions existed but why did I choose the expurgated ones? because I thought, "they were the original" or something but omg, anais nin had sex with her father?? i...kind of suspected it!! also, people don't like her?! what?!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Diary of Anaïs Nin, Vol. 1.

03/16 marked as: read

message 1: by Alaa (new)

Alaa Love writers who are so beautifully sensitive.

Your review makes me want to run to my room, climb my book shelve, and grab that copy. I purchased a brand new copy last week because the one I had before was too old and yellow which started to give me skin allergies lol I can't believe I quit reading her dairy because of this reason.

"The everyday life, of doing something for someone when they are not looking, ..." I can just tattoo that on my arm !