Mandy's Reviews > Lord John and the Brotherhood of the Blade

Lord John and the Brotherhood of the Blade by Diana Gabaldon

Mar 26, 11

Read from March 21 to 26, 2011

(Caution spoilers)
Reading this novel reminded me of Diana Gabaldon's genius in storytelling. It somewhat satisfies the long wait for the next novel in the outlander series in that it makes certain scenes from "An Echo in the Bone" make more sense.

The homosexual sex scenes with his new brother-in-law I found more than uncomfortable for myself to read. I probably would have preferred if more was left to the imagination. All the more disturbing was the choice of Lord John's lovers, this one was his new brother-in-law, but he refers to another brother (now deceased) with whom he had a relationship with in the army. It gave the term "brotherly love" a whole new meaning and I read the novel expecting Lord John to admit to himself an attraction to his older brother Hal. At least he has attraction to Jamie Fraser (but who wouldn't be attracted to him) which brings him away from his family circle even though Jamie obviously does not feel the same way towards him and never will.

Throughout the book I would often get confused with all the different characters and at the end I wasn't really sure who they were catching as the killer. I especially enjoyed the battle scenes in Germany and Lord John's near death experience, relying on a doctor that he believed wanted to kill him. I don't know about anybody else but the scene where Lord John and two other soldiers catch Percy and another man together was hilarious, I was happy when their relationship was so abruptly over. However, I did enjoy the extreme levels of misery that the main characters had to endure with everything going wrong and the tough choices that they had to make in the process; all of this making the ending all the more rewarding.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lord John and the Brotherhood of the Blade.