Leila Cohan-Miccio's Reviews > Female Chauvinist Pigs: Women and the Rise of Raunch Culture

Female Chauvinist Pigs by Ariel Levy

Apr 17, 11

bookshelves: feminism, non-fiction
Read in April, 2011

I'm with Levy on the basic point here (too often, sexual aggression is mistaken for gender advancement), but I thought this book was underwritten at best. My major issue with it (besides the actually just plain offensive chapter on trans culture) is that Levy seems to unquestioningly accept the fact that women are acting "like men" about sex without problematizing that binary. She never discusses that "masculinity" is just as dangerous and damaging as "femininity" and both are, in fact, bogus social concepts, not real things.

Levy also spends the whole book talking about why being conventionally sexy is bad, but never articulates what a healthy female-positive sexuality would look like, which leads to a really unfortunate virgin/whore dichotomy.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Female Chauvinist Pigs.

Jessica I'm surprised you disliked the book this much!

Leila Cohan-Miccio It just felt so lazy to me! Like, I was with her on the issue, but it felt like there was SO MUCH she didn't even touch on. It felt like a first draft, honestly.