Holly's Reviews > The Postmistress

The Postmistress by Sarah Blake

Dec 04, 13

bookshelves: historical-fiction, world-war-ii
Read from March 21 to 26, 2011

There are tons of great stories set during WWII. This is not one of them. It's not even much of a story, it just sort of meanders and then peters out. The main characters aren't much more than plot devices or symbols; in fact, the only people worth caring about are the mostly nameless refugees fleeing the Nazis, and the Londoners living through the Blitz. The sections of the book focusing on them are actually great. But if you want a book about a fascinating female character during the war, read Charlotte Grey. If you want a book about a small town affected by the war, read the Guernsey Literary Potato whatever book. If you want a book that focuses on the tragedy of the Holocaust, read Sarah's Key. If you want a book about nothing, read this one.
78 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Postmistress.

Alissa I completely agree with your review

Maureen Holly...great review

message 3: by Marcela (new)

Marcela +1. I did not/could not empathize with any of the 3 main female characters. The one person I connected with was Thomas.

Cynthia Your review totally nailed it!

message 5: by Kim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim Great review! Loved Guernsey and Sarah's Key. Postmistress had potential but was so very slow.

Whitney Absolutely! There were some great aspects of this book. The London bombings really captivated me and the refugees on the trains. In the end though it sort of fizzled out. Nothing happened! She never did anything with her recordings, Iris barely had a purpose and I'm still trying to figure out what happened with Harry. Did the Germans kill him? Why? What happened to them after? Did he just end up dying of a heart attack. It was strange. Ended up pretty disappointed with this one.

message 7: by Pam (new) - rated it 2 stars

Pam I'm not sure why you didn't understand that Harry had a heart attack and died - it was pretty evident.

message 8: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Gattis This book seemed to wander, with no real story. It is a quick read, so I don't feel I wasted too much time.

message 9: by Mary (new) - added it

Mary Holly, since you seem to know a lot about WWII fiction, perhaps you could help me: I have been searching for a WWII fiction that I read previously for the past three years. It's about a middle class English girl who marries into the upper crust society. Her husband is drafted and supposedly killed in action. She falls in love with another man, she finds out her husband is alive, he returns, heart break ensues. There is also a sub plot of her sister in law being abused by her supposed war hero husband. There are also some refugees that she takes in... Can't for the life of me remember the title and it's so irritating!! Any help?

Holly I'm sorry, I wish I did! I'll dig around a little, because it sounds really good!

Sherene I was going to spend a few minutes reviewing this book but after reading your's, it would just be redundant :)

Bettyjeanyoungyahoo.com I started this book but have only made it to page 17. Just can't finish it.

message 14: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne Thanks for the reviews! Started it and put it down, don't think I'll be picking it back up.