Esther's Reviews > The Measure of a Lady

The Measure of a Lady by Deeanne Gist

Apr 17, 11

Read in January, 2011

I would categorize this book as a historical fiction romance, maybe even add Christian to the category's name, too. It takes place in San Francisco during the gold rush which was interesting. I liked the characters but found the romance (thus big parts of the story) rather cliche. Such as, why does a man often end up make fun or put down in a teasing way his love interest right after a romantic interlude? For story progression it breaks up the tension and doesn't take the characters too far too soon but it kind of annoys me how often it happens this way in books and there has to be another way to reach the same goal.

I did like how Lissa doesn't repent of her wrong doings and the author ignored the urge to tie up all loose ends in a real nice pretty bow... and forced Rachel to learn to love and accept her anyways. A fun light read and may pick up another of hers sometime.

Sorry Mandy, that I didn't love it but see why/how you did. I think my expectations were a little too high for it to begin to compete but still glad you recommended it on Goodreads. Does her other books have the slight religious undertone...just curious?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Measure of a Lady.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Mandy i am not sure why i really liked this book. for some reason i really liked the two main characters, and i think i fell in love with mr parker from the beginning.

Mandy yes, she writes with a very slight religious undertone. she is not my favorite author, but for a quick read that you don't have to worry about she is a good choice.