Adi (Reading in the Windowseat)'s Reviews > Immortal in Death

Immortal in Death by J.D. Robb

Mar 28, 11

bookshelves: author-j-d-robb, 2011-read-list, class-adult, all-time-best, genre-crimi, genre-sci-fi
Read from March 27 to 28, 2011

The In Death books are getting under my skin.

Just as you think things can't get more personal when it comes to loved ones involved in the murder investigations of Eve Dallas (what with what happened in book two) J.D.Robb goes and pulls the carpet under your feet with a terrifying new twist you'd have never expected.

First the book surprised me with how it began - it was focused onto Eve's personal life and romance, instead of the mystery. I loved every page of the beginning, it was a lovely surprise.

And then - wham! All the tables turned at the oddest of angles. Tension rises, shackles rattle and the body cound just keeps ticking up. And then to add to the whole personal/homicide mess, Eve had to go and suffer through flashbacks and the eventual return of some of the memory she lost in shock and fear when very young.

The crimes became tangled with friendship, marriage plans and memory turmoil, and then the author added illegal drugs and spoiled celebrities to stir up whole mix into something incredibly immercing and stirring.

I keep expecting the thrill of these books to wear off, keep thinking that there is no way the author could write thirty-something books with the same main characters and plot, and always pull something new and absorbing out of the proverbial hat, but so far J.D.Robb has not only achieved that, but done it so exquisitely that the first three books are weaved closely together while remaining unique and gripping individually.

So my next move would be to find time to get into book four - can't wait!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Immortal in Death.

03/27/2011 "Wanted to bite into this one for a week! but didn't have the time. Finally I do, so here we go..."
03/27/2011
40.0% "Up to Chapter Nine and loving it - there's humour, there's mystery, there's intrigue and sarcasm. Damn, I love these books!"
03/27/2011
80.0% "Up to Chapter 17. Too bad I have early classes tomorrow and can't finish this... ;("