Katie Stout's Reviews > Nevermore

Nevermore by Kelly Creagh

Nov 14, 11

bookshelves: favorites, favorite-heroines, simon-schuster, paranormal-contemp
Read on November 13, 2011

First, let me say that this is a blessing to the YA fantasy/paranormal genre. It's so much different than everything else out there, which was incredibly refreshing. You won't find the paranormal romance stereotypes here. Sure, Isobel is a cheerleader, but she isn't stupid and she isn't even ashamed of her social status. She may date one of the star football players, but he's actually an interesting character that plays an important role in the story. She also may fall for the bad boy, but he's got a lot more demons that come calling than most paranormal romance heroes do.

I'm definitely a Poe fan, so I was drawn to this story because of the premise. I'll also admit that I was enthralled by the intriguing cover. I love it when the boy gets face-time on the cover, so that made me curious about this book, and interestingly enough, it's actually a clear reflection of the story in that Varen is just as important to the overall plot and is just as interesting a character (if not more interesting) than Isobel herself. For this, I was pleasantly surprised.

Speaking of Varen, he is officially one of my new favorite YA heroes anti-heroes. And the romance between him and Isobel was great because it was slow, so much so that I often wondered if they were ever going to admit to the other that they really liked each other. For us romance lovers, this book is a bit of an enigma. There's really only one scene in the book that's overtly romantic, and the book is over 500 pages long. You do the math. But actually, I found the entire story and the tense build-up to the that one scene really sweet. I was rooting for them from the beginning, and I loved their banter and sexual tension that was building throughout the story.

But what makes the story great is the fantasy element, the incredibly original worldbuilding that Creagh presents us with. She takes the stories of Edgar Allan Poe and morphs them into a dream world where the Red Death walks among partiers to hand out judgment and people are buried alive in wine cellars. It was also really terrifying. The writing of the dream world was really well done, I thought. And I liked that the climax of the story was pretty long; so many times I feel like YA books have anti-climactic endings because the climax is maybe 20 pages long. But this one went on for over 100 pages.

And the end?! I was left reeling! I MUST KNOW WHAT HAPPENS NEXT! It's not a cliffhanger per se, but those of us invested in Isobel and Varen's story are officially desperate to know what happens in the next book. Unfortunately, it doesn't come out until August of 2012. What is that about?! The first one was released in 2010. I feel as if it's some cruel joke. Let's push up the release date, eh, Simon and Schuster? I'm dying here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nevermore.

11/13/2011 page 135
11/13/2011 page 298
55.0% "Gah, this book is awesome! I would have loved this in high school...haha" 2 comments
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Nafiza Awesome review. But the ending just about killed me too because it ends on such a note that you have to (HAVE TO) know what happens next. I loved how the "hero" of this book is not "the most popular, the most gorgeous etc" as in so many other novels. Varen rocks. Maybe we should write a letter to the publisher pleading for an earlier release date. :D

Katie Stout Nafiza wrote: "Awesome review. But the ending just about killed me too because it ends on such a note that you have to (HAVE TO) know what happens next. I loved how the "hero" of this book is not "the most popula..."

That sounds like a good idea! Maybe we could even start a petition. I think I know quite a few ppl on Goodreads who would like to read this one earlier. lol

Nafiza It's a deal. Haha. I wouldn't mind signing a petition. "Give us Varen now!"