Liza H's Reviews > The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Díaz

Mar 03, 12

bookshelves: done
Read from February 24 to March 02, 2012

I started out annoyed by all of the untranslated spanish bits... but I actually got used to it. Either I could figure it out given the context, or I just skipped over it. It ended up not detracting from the story too much.
It's certainly not the most mind-blowing story I've ever read. I'm sure I'm supposed to feel a little more sympathy for Oscar, the poor, fat, socially awkward nerd who just wants to get with a woman. Frankly, I've known too many like him in my life, and far from being sympathetic to their plight, I'm more sympathetic to the poor women he assaults with his "IDON'TKNOWYOUBUTILOVEYOUILOVEYOUILOVEYOU" style of romance. The boy is smart, he's got smart friends (and a smart sister) telling him to chill out and stop being so confronting when it comes to meeting people, but he just refuses. Why? I've always wondered that with the socially inept nerds I've known in my life. You're SMART, why can't you stop being so ANNOYING?
Anyway. (SPOILERS)
Kid gets killed for it eventually. The poor woman he assaults with his "love" in the end has a boyfriend who is also a cop (and she tells him, repeatedly, to leave her alone, but does he? Nope.) SO of course he's beaten nearly to death, and when he comes back for more, they finally shoot him. I have to say, I kinda don't blame them.
Overall though, it was an entertaining read. The style of storytelling was amusing once I got used to it. I'm not entirely sure it deserves all the awards it got, but maybe the award-givers never knew one of these nerds in real life. Or, maybe they WERE the nerds and felt their own tales were being told.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao.