Dan's Reviews > All-Star Superman, Vol. 1

All-Star Superman, Vol. 1 by Grant Morrison

Mar 23, 11

Read in March, 2011

Ah. Now *this* is a good Superman story. Definitely an approachable and enjoyable tale for those not versed in the 70+ years of retcons and alternate universes and multiearths and so on. It's a stand-alone 12-part story, and quietly retells the "need-to-know" information (Superman is the sole survivor of the planet Krypton, the earth's sun gives him the powers flight and super-strength and heat-vision, his secret identity is Clark Kent of the Daily Planet, his secret clubhouse is the fortress of solitude, Lex Luthor wants to kill him, he has a boner for Lois Lane, Jimmy Olsen also has a boner for Lois Lane, etc) while working in some new and fresh spins on the classic mythology.

Wonderful, colorful artwork. Fresh, exciting storytelling. Fun and easy for a Superman novice.

A fine accomplishment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All-Star Superman, Vol. 1.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Adam (new)

Adam I don't know much about comics, but I like Grant Morrison. Have you read DOOM PATROL?

message 2: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan No, I haven't. I know the team dates back to the Silver Age, but my knowledge of DC cannon is pretty limited. I'll see if I can track down Morrison's run on it.