Jeff Scott's Reviews > Last Evenings on Earth

Last Evenings on Earth by Roberto Bolaño

May 06, 11

bookshelves: latin-america-fiction, short-stories, exile
Read in May, 2011

These mostly autobiographical short stories give a very insightful perspective on Bolano. An exiled Chilean he wanders through Mexico and Europe unmoored. He seemingly floats through these stories like a haunted man. It is very illuminating for Bolano fans and many of the stories deal with exile, alienation, failed dreams, violence, and a fear of what happens next.

The Eye and Gomez Pallacio were my favorites.

Sensi story highlights the need for a master as well as a master's need for a novice.

Leprince and the need for bad writers

In his heart, Leprince finally accepted his lot as a bad writer, but he has also come to understand and accept that good writers need bad writers if only to serve as readers and stewards. He also knows that by saving or helping several good writers he has earned the right to sully clean sheets of paper and make mistakes. P 25

Enrique martin and our lost hope and dreams

"...just like me and my correspondents, coming to the end of our youth, coming to accept the end of our dreams." p 33

A literary adventure and phone calls seem to be part of something unfinished. Those are unsatisfying

The grub sounds like the beginning of The Savage Detectives. college kid not going to class spends time reading and meets carborca and the knife.

Anne Moores life seems autobiographical, and like the literary adventure and phone calls, unsatisfying.

The Eye is beautiful story about the horrors of violence of the worst kind, and the crying foe those lost to it.

Gomez pallacio is about the desert. It reminded me of the scene in 2666 where the detectives are riding in the desert as if they were on a sea with the cities as idlandsl as if the desert would swallow them up. I love the desolation in the story and the loneliness. The reflection of yourself at the time of a lonely ddperate period and to look yourself in the mirror, that scared kid you were.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Last Evenings on Earth.

05/03/2011 page 171