Jeremiah S's Reviews > Heart of a Champion

M 50x66
May 19, 11

bookshelves: to-read
Read in May, 2011

This book is called Heart of a Champion by Carl Deuker, It’s 192 pages. The setting is in a suburb called Redwood City, which is just south of San Francisco. The main characters are Jimmy Winter and Seth Barham. The boys are playing baseball on a team called the Woodside Plaza Merchants. Seth wants to become more like Jimmy, Problematic sentence structure Jimmy is considered to be an excellent ball player, and considers himself to be another "Babe Ruth”. The guys fall into some trouble that they try to struggle out of. Jimmy is upset that his father has a drinking problem, but he soon realizes he has the same problem as well. Seth can't tell anyone that Jimmy has a drinking problem or Jimmy will get kicked off the baseball team. I could relate to both of the boys because like Jimmy, I like baseball, and like Seth, because if my friend screws up, I don't want him getting in any more trouble. My favorite part was near the end of the book where they win the last game of their season and made it to the playoff games for the championship. My least favorite part was when they lost on their first game in the playoffs. If I were to change any part of the book, it would have to be at the ending because it is just too sad. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves baseball. You can find this at any library or bookstore.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heart of a Champion.