Velvetink's Reviews > The Story of Mankind

The Story of Mankind by Hendrik Willem van Loon

Mar 21, 11

bookshelves: history, vintage, z-1960-s
Read in January, 1966

This is a book that belonged to my grandfather, it's the 1947 edition. I fell in love with the illustrations and is probably one of the reasons I love history. I've added 3 photographs of pages with illustrations that took my fancy. The first - of the universe with the sign (Here we Live) at first worried me a little - the vastness OUT THERE but I was very very young at the time. Now it reminds me of something that might come from a Douglas Adams book...perhaps he read Van Loon too. ;)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Story of Mankind.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Thom Dunn I have an early copy of this....it has cavemen facing off against one another. That picture you refer to....reminds me of those T-shirts with the Milky Way and the message "You are here" with an arrow. Hours I spent as a young child, hours staring at this and other books on my parents' shelves. I am happy for us.

Velvetink You can see "You are here" picture & others I added, go to the book and under the cover it says other photos, click on that.

Velvetink I'm glad I'm not alone in liking this book :)

message 4: by Eric (new) - added it

Eric Velvetink wrote: "I'm glad I'm not alone in liking this book :)"

Couldn't find the extra pictures. Are they still there?

Velvetink Eric@ someone must have deleted them. They are re-installed now - and for the record not infringing copyright....

Velvetink go to my review page under the image of the bookcover it says more photos (3) click on that.

message 7: by Eric (new) - added it

Eric Velvetink wrote: "Eric@ someone must have deleted them. They are re-installed now - and for the record not infringing copyright...."

Wow!! That's amazing! I have a spanish copy from 2004, and it only have a few uggly pictures compared to those. I wonder why it devolved so much... Thank you for sharing those pictures velvetink!! :))

message 8: by Velvetink (last edited Jul 10, 2011 01:10AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Velvetink Eric wrote: "Velvetink wrote: "Eric@ someone must have deleted them. They are re-installed now - and for the record not infringing copyright...."

Wow!! That's amazing! I have a spanish copy from 2004, and it o..."

Possibly the new printer's didn't have the original blocks to make the illustrations from? or for various reasons were not able to secure copyright from the illustrator or his estate (assuming he/she might be dead). That's all I can think of.

message 9: by Eric (new) - added it

Eric Velvetink wrote: "Eric wrote: "Velvetink wrote: "Eric@ someone must have deleted them. They are re-installed now - and for the record not infringing copyright...."

Wow!! That's amazing! I have a spanish copy from 2..."

Well thought. The pleasure of reading from copies with such quality (whichever the book) increases exponencially for me. It's like travelling on time and finding something beautiful. :-)

message 10: by Christina (new)

Christina Velvetink wrote: "Eric wrote: "Velvetink wrote: "Eric@ someone must have deleted them. They are re-installed now - and for the record not infringing copyright...."

Wow!! That's amazing! I have a spanish copy from 2..."

How can I view those pictures? I would love to see them, but can't seem to find them here. claws323@gmail.com

message 11: by Eric (new) - added it

Eric Christina wrote: "Velvetink wrote: "Eric wrote: "Velvetink wrote: "Eric@ someone must have deleted them. They are re-installed now - and for the record not infringing copyright...."

Wow!! That's amazing! I have a s..."

They're gone (again), contact Velvetink so that he can send you an email with them

Velvetink The pictures are still there.....click on the picture of the book cover, underneath it says 3 more.....click there

message 13: by Eric (new) - added it

Eric Velvetink wrote: "The pictures are still there.....click on the picture of the book cover, underneath it says 3 more.....click there"

Oops sorry, my bad. Thanks mate!

Velvetink no worries xx