Sofia's Reviews > Earth: A Visitor's Guide to the Human Race

Apr 11, 11

bookshelves: humor
Read from March 21 to April 11, 2011

Posted on my book blog.

An encyclopedia left behind by Humanity to the aliens of the future, who will eventually visit our planet after the pending extinction of humankind. It attempts to explain to an outsider the intricate aspects of human life, and while doing so, it exposes the madness of it all.

After reading America (The Book): A Citizen's Guide to Democracy Inaction, I knew better than to expect a hilarious book from the writers of the Daily Show. In fact, while undoubtedly funny at times, the tone is mostly sarcastic, and I found this book to be utterly depressing. Humanity is so incredible, and at the same time so incredibly ridiculous.

It's by no means complete, literary or comprehensive, nor was it meant to be. Recommended as an easy to read, difficult to swallow account of the human madness.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Earth.

Quotes Sofia Liked

Jon Stewart
“It's funny. When we were alive we spent much of our time staring up at the cosmos and wondering what was out there. We were obsessed with the moon and whether we could one day visit it. The day we finally walked on it was celebrated worldwide as perhaps man's greatest achievement. But it was while we were there, gathering rocks from the moon's desolate landscape, that we looked up and caught a glimpse of just how incredible our own planet was. Its singular astonishing beauty. We called her Mother Earth. Because she gave birth to us, and then we sucked her dry.”
Jon Stewart, Earth (The Book): A Visitor's Guide to the Human Race