Anke's Reviews > Beguilement

Beguilement by Lois McMaster Bujold

Mar 21, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, novels, romance, ebooks
I own a copy, read count: 2

What you need to know if you're considering buying this:
1) It's the first half of a story. This book and the second in the series, Legacy, were originally one story, but it got too long.
2) This is not a story about monster hunting with a side of romance; it's a romance that starts with a bit of monster hunting.

I had read reviews indicating this previously, and went in expecting to not like it much, but it wasn't as bad as I feared. I really liked Dag's humor, for example. And, well, I guess I have a soft spot for emotionally damaged guys.

Another fascinating aspect was the culture clash. Differences between Farmers and Lakewalkers include differences in gender expectations; what inheritance there is is matrilinear. Seeing Dag try to understand, get used or at least deal with those differences is rather interesting.

There are rather squicky aspects to the pairing - Dag's first appreciative mental comment about Fawn's figure happens when someone is trying to rape her; thanks to his magic he has a pretty good idea what she is feeling at any given moment, which only enhances the power differential that's there because he's older than her father and thus has a lot more life experience.

There is also rather a lot of sex.

I'm not all that drawn to romance and sex, but this book was for me worth reading for the worldbuilding, character-interaction, and humour. I gotta say, I like the later books, with more focus on the rest of the world, better than this one.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beguilement.