The Flooze's Reviews > Late Eclipses

Mar 23, 11

bookshelves: urban-fantasy-paranormal, owned, vanquished_2011
Read from March 20 to 22, 2011, read count: 1

**3.75?**

I had declared, after reading An Artificial Night, that Toby Daye and I simply would not do. Though there was much about her I adored, though her friends were lovely, entertaining people, Toby and I just didn’t see eye-to-eye. And so I bid her a fond farewell, wishing her all the best with those who might appreciate her better.

Insistent friends pleaded with me to give her another chance. “No, no,” said I. “You can never go back on that sort of decision. It just leads to more disappointment.”

But perhaps, every now and again, you can go back and the result will be surprising and fresh - all of the good things you remembered with very little of the bad to drag it all down. And so it went with Toby and I.

Late Eclipses focuses more on Toby and her past than any of the previous books, and perhaps therein lies the difference. Yes, there are mysterious illnesses to cure, foes to battle, and political nastiness to defend against. But at the center of it all is the question of who Toby is and who she wants to be. This time around, plot devices demand that she become aware of her limitations, that she think before she acts (sometimes) and the result is a more balanced hero. She spends a fair amount of time dashing back and forth as per her usual, but her investigation follows a logical path - a relief, because logic and Toby haven‘t always been bosom buds. She also accepts that running around alone often does more harm than good. With friends and allies by her side, Toby comes closer to performing an efficient investigation than she ever has before.

Match this newfound sensible nature with Toby’s helpful and caring personality and her likability spikes dramatically. Add in the humorous touches that McGuire is already adept at and the result is an enjoyable installment. Imagine - I only wanted to shake Toby once, maybe twice, throughout the whole of the book! I no longer paused every chapter to shake my head and think, “Oh, Toby, dear. Get a brain already!” Instead, I was wrapped up in the story and curious how everything was going to pan out. I’ll admit there were some obvious details, but there were so many other tidbits flying around that I found myself forgiving a few clue-by-fours.

Alongside Toby’s improvements, we have frequent stolen moments with the ever-desirable Tybalt (he of the tight leather pants). Note to Curran fans: know that this enigmatic cait sidhe is taking a page straight from the Beast Lord’s handbook. Why, oh, why do we find this practically feral sort of possessiveness attractive? Damned if I know - I just want more of it. Though the revelation of Tybalt and Toby’s mutual attraction is taking its time to unfurl, the glimpses McGuire provides are delicious and tantalizing enough to carry us through to the next volume.

With this novel, I’m coming to a greater appreciation of the author’s humor. Sometimes slapstick, often wry and always with a hint of self-deprecation, McGuire creates scenes and drops one-liners that command a snort or chuckle. It’s these moments that endear the characters to me and make me want to revisit them. Pacing and plot hindered my enjoyment before, but Late Eclipses has given me newfound hope that maybe, just maybe, Toby and I can work out after all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Late Eclipses.

03/20/2011 page 1
0.0% "Let the ranting and fits begin!"
03/20/2011 page 2
1.0% "My name's Toby Daye. I'm half-fae, half-human, and depressingly excited by the idea of being able to pay for name-brand cereal." 4 comments
03/21/2011 page 184
46.0% "The pacing is a bit better in this installment. And hey, hey! This time we have a reason for Toby acting dopey!" 2 comments
03/22/2011 page 229
57.0% "You'd think I might hallucinate something more pleasant than a lecture from you, you know. Tybalt in those leather pants would be a nice start."
03/22/2011 page 266
67.0% "Tybalt has shades of Curran...and I like it. Meeeow." 5 comments
03/22/2011 page 327
82.0% "As often as men slam me into things, you'd think I'd get laid more."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Christina 4 stars!!Great! :D

The Holy Terror wrote: ""

LOL!

message 3: by Laura Lulu (new)

Laura Lulu So I should read these? I bought the first one awhile ago but then you all said they sucked, so I moved it to the back of the shelf. :)

The Holy Terror The first three did suck. I can't recommend the whole series if only the fourth book is good.

message 5: by Regina (new)

Regina I am laughing bc I just read your reviews of the first 3 and I think they were all 2s - so I took them off my shelf. :) I do love these covers though. So should I move them back on my tBR?

The Flooze I love that picture. Hilarious.

I stand by my reviews of the first three, so as Shannon said, I can't in all good conscience recommend the series just because this installment was pleasing. If the next one garners a high rating, that might be a different matter!

I allowed myself to be talked into this one because I have always liked the characters. It was the plotting and pacing that were atrocious. Great ideas, lots of failed potential.

As it is, Toby is supposed to be a PI and a most capable knight. She's neither. What she is is loyal and determined. Had McGuire set Toby up as an innocent bystander sucked into the role of amateur detective, a lot of her flailing in books 1-3 would have been more forgivable. But she didn't. So.

One good book does not an outstanding series make. I'm not wenching this, no matter how yummy Tybalt's getting.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I just really love your use of bold type. Tight leather pants eh? Hm. I see your TLP and raise them one fringed leather jacket AND pants set (seen in Ravenous). How is leather still the fabric of choice for these people?

The Flooze It's the fringe more than anything that disturbs me.

As for the leather, it seems so restrictive. I imagine they have ever-expanding tailor bills, what with all the split seams. And what about the chafing?

The Holy Terror Moss wrote: "I just really love your use of bold type."

She stole it from ME! I cry foul! THIEF! THIEF!

You owe me some wine in a box, Floozy. Or at least, Capri-Sun-like wine pouches.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

All I know is leather squeaks if it rubs, and thighs rub together when you walk unless your legs are concave. And a man whose thighs squeak as he strides towards you is not a man you want licking your nipples. PNR women make alll the wrong choices.

Bold type can't be owned! I claim it on behalf of the people of the world!

The Holy Terror Moss wrote: "Bold type can't be owned! I claim it on behalf of the people of the world!"

Hypocrite! You just said it can't be owned then you claimed it! I can only assume you're in cahoots with The Flooze, and therefor cannot be trusted.

:p

message 12: by Laura Lulu (new)

Laura Lulu The Holy Terror wrote: "Moss wrote: "I just really love your use of bold type."

She stole it from ME! I cry foul! THIEF! THIEF!"

Lol! I was waiting for this as soon as I saw Moss' post. :)

FREE THE BOLDFACE!

message 13: by Laura Lulu (new)

Laura Lulu Oh, and about the leather pants--I myself have never worn leather pants, but I would think they would make you sweaty. And be really hard to take off. Think of all those PNR love scenes with leather pants being swiftly removed--I don't think that's possible.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Laura Lulu wrote: "Oh, and about the leather pants--I myself have never worn leather pants, but I would think they would make you sweaty. And be really hard to take off. Think of all those PNR love scenes with leathe..."

Exactly, and how do they launder them? There are all these practical implications to owning large pieces of clothing made from dead animals. I mean, if he gets them cleaned once a week then the hygiene factor is covered, but I don't think he does because nowhere in between licking nipples and sleeping during the day does he have time to pop down to the dryleaners. So we have a pair of unwashed leather pants being worn constantly by an aroused male. Is this smexy? No. It is kind of nasty.

message 15: by The Holy Terror (last edited Mar 25, 2011 04:03PM) (new) - added it

The Holy Terror Moss wrote: "Collective ownership eliminates the illegitimate private ownership of capital. Only through this means will we ensure just outcomes for the proletariat. Rise the masses, and claim your destiny! Bold type is ours!"

(view spoiler)

The Flooze Moss wrote: "And a man whose thighs squeak as he strides towards you is not a man you want licking your nipples..."

I love you.

Also? Not good for sneaking up on one's foes.

VIVE LA BOLD TYPE!!

The Holy Terror Whatevs.

Ariana :D Yus! I take it you'll read the next in the series then?

The Flooze Sadly, yes!

The Flooze I better see some Tybalt action!!