Betted's Reviews > The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

Mar 12, 12

Read it! Read it to gain the perspective of a political insiders viewpoint of Sweden. The author was politically active and had an expert grasp of nuances in the Swedish political and social welfare systems.

You should know the actual title in Sweden was "Men who Hate Women" and by reading the book you get a much better feel for the manipulations and abuses perpetrated upon Lisbeth Salander, the girl with the dragon tattoo. She was caught up in the "system" and was appointed a guardian who could make her life miserable or empower her.

The book was not well translated in the first few chapters making it heavy going, but the translator finally got into the rhythm.

I read all three volumes, watched all three of the Swedish films, plus the first of the English versions, and I must say that Stieg Larsson made numerous points about the political and social system of Sweden in the book that were not brought into focus in the films, plus gave us a wonderful crime novel as well which was the focal point of the movies.

Larrson's early demise and the legal battles over the rights to the rest of his writing could make a bestselling book itself.

Likeflag