Jan's Reviews > When We Were Strangers

When We Were Strangers by Pamela Schoenewaldt

Mar 20, 11

Whenever snow or rain storms keep me indoors, my favorite thing to do is snuggle up in front of the fire place with a good book. Yesterday, I picked up When We Were Strangers by Pamela Schoenewaldt, and was literally transported to the 1880’s. This beautifully written and remarkable story about a young Italian girl’s journey from her village in Opi, Italy to America, was both riveting and memorable. Schoenewaldt’s exquisite prose carves out a heartfelt tale about determination and the will to survive against all odds. From the first time I met protagonist, Irma Vitale, I was emotionally captivated by her circumstances and drawn into her life. A single women and immigrant struggling to endure seemingly impossible obstacles, Irma is a character I am not likely to forget. I couldn’t put the book down and recommend it to anyone who likes to read about the resilience of the human spirit. Five stars for When We Were Strangers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When We Were Strangers.