Bookaholics's Reviews > Devious

Mar 20, 11

Devious by Lisa Jackson
Romantic Suspense - March 29th, 2011
3 ½ stars

In the heart of New Orleans, St. Marguerite’s Cathedral is the site of the shocking tow murders of novice nuns. Detectives Rick Bentz and Reben Montoya are on the hunt, but Montoya has a history with one of the victims and also went to high school with the main suspect, handsome and charismatic father O’Toole. Montoya tries to use his connections with some of the novice nuns to solve the case.

Meanwhile, Valerie is an ex-detective from Texas. Her sister was one of the novice nuns murdered. She is working on her own to try to solve her sister’s murder. But is distracted by the arrival of her soon-to-be ex-husband. Valerie’s past is troubled. She and her sister were both orphans who were adopted. The death of her sister and her adopted parents still haunt her.

I am a huge mystery reader and usually love any book by Lisa Jackson, but I found this book a bit disappointing. Maybe I had too high expectations. While a solid and easy read, I felt it was rather slow paced and I found myself stopping and starting it many times. This book has a lot of potential but because it has so many different characters I found I could not connect with any of them. I would have liked it better if the author had focused more on developing a couple of characters instead. The plot was also a bit convoluted and the mystery felt a little simplistic and bland. I also want to note that this book is also advertised as romantic suspense in some areas but the romance is really in the background as the mystery takes center stage.

While a solid book I wish the plot and characters had been more developed. I will continue to read Lisa Jackson’s works. Devious was not one of my favorites.

Reviewed by Rita from the Bookaholics Romance Book Club

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Devious.