Sarai's Reviews > Liar

it was ok
bookshelves: read-in-2011, young-adult, paranormal
Read on September 21, 2011

This book was crazy.

Micah is a pathological liar who is dealing with her boyfriend's sudden death. The book is divided into three parts, (view spoiler). It's a big guessing game from start to finish.

The book goes back and forth, before Zach's death and after, as well as short glimpses into Micah's early childhood. After reading about her childhood, her family history, her personal 'truth', and all of her inner fears, doubts, and feelings of loneliness, I still didn't feel like I truly knew Micah. And the reason for that is simple: I can't trust her.

This lack of trust is not a coincidence. It's clear that the author meant for it to be that way. That's what the book is about. Micah has lied for what seems like forever, and she's finally ready to tell you the truth. Will you believe her?

Even after unraveling the mystery and navigating the crazy twist (I avoided spoilers to I could really enjoy the story, and it was definitely an interesting twist), I still felt a disconnect. Not only did I feel like I didn't get a chance to truly know Micah, but I also didn't get a good feel of her parents or Zach. Just bits and pieces of them. The same goes for all the minor characters in this story. I don't know if this was done on purpose or what. The book is written in such a way that events are clouded in mystery and all you're left with is random fragments that you later have to fit together to make sense of what's really happened.

There were some things I didn't doubt or question in the story. Micah's love for Zach, for example. Or her feelings of loneliness. But I can't ignore what I do doubt: Is the Actual Real Truth the truth? Can I believe? I felt the foundation of the book crumbled for me towards the end, after everything was revealed, and it affected the way I felt about this story as a whole.

Once I finished the book, I was left with questions that will never get answered: (view spoiler) The lack of answers is disappointing and left me dissatisfied.

While I appreciate that Larbalestier attempted something different and introduced a unique narrator, the twist and the overall plot was overshadowed by skepticism and wariness on my part.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Liar.

09/21/2011 page 185
49.0% "Started reading this at work and haven't been able to stop."
11/27/2016 marked as: read

Dua'a Behbehani The werewolf thing was a kind of metaphor for mental illness. So when she said her family were werewoles living on a farm, hiding from the rest of the world, it was a lie because everyone in her family from her cousin's side has the mental illness, which might be due to intermarrying. Also, in the end when she says her art teacher (or whoever it was, I dont remember clearly) asked her to come to a museum she meant that she took her to a hospital to be treated. You have to read it more than once :) i hope this cleared things up!

Sarai Dua'a wrote: "The werewolf thing was a kind of metaphor for mental illness. So when she said her family were werewoles living on a farm, hiding from the rest of the world, it was a lie because everyone in her fa..."

I will definitely read it again. :)