Anne-Marie's Reviews > Caddie Woodlawn

Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink

Mar 20, 2011

bookshelves: action-and-adventure, classics, historical-fiction, realistic-fiction, redhead
Recommended for: Everyone
I own a copy , read count: 5

I love these stories! I have really fond memories of all the times I've read them, because I've been re-reading them since fourth grade. This book is about a girl named Caddie Woodlawn. All the stories are true (a few details, such as names, were changed, but basically all the events actually happened), and they were written by Caddie Woodlawn's granddaughter, Carol Brink. When Carol was little, her grandmother told her stories of her childhood as a pioneer in northern Wisconsin and eventually, as a teenager, Carol wrote all the stories down so that she would never forget them. After Caddie's death, Carol had the stories published and now they're still sold.
Caddie Woodlawn was friends with the local Native Americans in her town, even though most of the other pioneers feared them, and she helped make peace during a conflict when she was only about twelve or so. She had an Old English Sheepdog (like my dog :). She also rejected the way her mother wanted her to live - like a proper lady. She constantly snuck out of the house to run around with her brothers and cross the stream to the Native American camp.
ANYWAYS... it's a fun, light story that I like to read sometimes during trips and such.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Caddie Woodlawn.