Natalie's Reviews > Garden Spells

Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen

Apr 18, 11

bookshelves: my-bookshelf, chick-lit, paranormal, adult-fiction, family-drama, magic
Read from March 31 to April 16, 2011

I happened to come across this book at my university's annual used book sale a few weeks ago, and I couldn't resist the magical description of the plot! Sarah Addison Allen's novel, Garden Spells, definitely lived up to its description as a bewitching read, for I soon became highly engrossed by the whimsical characters and enchanting storyline. In many ways this novel really reminded me of Practical Magic, as it focused on the lives of two sisters with magical abilities, who struggle to accept their powers and become accepted members of their community.

What I really enjoyed about this book was the fact that Allen did not just create a pair of magical sisters, but an entire town with various unique abilities. For example, the girls in one family are always destined to marry wealthy men, and the men in another family are predestined to always end up marrying an older woman. This use of family myth and fate allowed for a slew of quirky and fascinating characters with intricate backgrounds and personalities.

While I quickly devoured Garden Spells over a couple of days, I was nevertheless somewhat disappointed by the ending. The novel seemed to wrap up way too quickly for my liking, and I was left wanting more. For example, although the love plots were developing really well throughout the story, any complications were immediately eliminated to make room for a happy ending. Despite the ending, Garden Spells is still a fun, magical read to be swept away in!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Garden Spells.