Michelle Kelly's Reviews > Ransom

Ransom by Julie Garwood

Dec 23, 11

bookshelves: 2011-read, favourite-series, favorites, historical
Read from March 20 to 21, 2011

Updated review so I could transfer to my blog. http://anotherlookbookreviews.blogspo...

Ransom is the second book in the Highland Laird series. I did not read “The Secret” first as it was proving to be a difficult book to hunt down. I did eventually find it and I'll update a review on here later. Regardless, I don’t think I needed to read the The Secret about the Maitland’s before this one.

Ransom was simply FAB-U-LOUS and it will go down as one of my most favourite historical romances that I have ever read. I would also say that Ransom is my favourite Julie Garwood book of all time. I completely enjoyed reading all about Gillan and Brodick. The story was captivating and a page turner. In fact, I devoured it so quickly that I turned right around and re-read it. I wanted to feel that magic connection all over again. There were so many enjoyable parts to the novel. One of the main deep routed themes of Ransom was protection. I loved how protective Gilllian was to the young child Alec Maitland and in turn, I adored how protected Gillian felt with Brodick.

One of my favourite scenes of Ransom was how Gillian and Brodick got married while they were on a horseback and Gillian had no idea that the marriage was even taken place. Brodick's friend Ramsay had a perfect part in that trickery and it had left me giggling. I thought the entire peice was extremely well written and very well thought out. I can’t imagine being an author sitting down and thinking ‘okay I am going to marry them but I don’t want Gillian to know what is happening’ Somehow Julie Garwood wields her magic and creates one of the most memorable scenes I will never forget.

I often find when I love a book as much as I adored Ransom, it is difficult to review because I want to spill with spoilers all the amazing scenes and banter that occurs between the characters. I just don't want to ruin for any potential new readers. If you love alpha Highland Lairds, warriors who strive to protect, smart, brave and witty female characters you will adore Ransom right along with me.

There are twists and turns in Julie Garwood's plots so I kept expecting something predictable and I was pleasantly surprised when it didn't turn out that way.
Teasers: secret treasure, brutal beating, rocky cliff conversation "You know what?"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ransom.