Lizziet's Reviews > The Secret Between Us

F_50x66
Mar 05, 08

Recommended for: New york times
Read in March, 2008

Okay. I picked up this book because I was looking for a new author like Jodi Picoult. This book was a quick read but dragged at times. I kept reading because I was intrigued by the topic and the relationships. A daugter kills a man while driving with her mother on a rainy night. The mother does not correct the police when they assume that the mother was driving. Made me wonder if I would do the same. Also, it reminded us how a lie can impact your life and how the truth can set up free.

I could relate to some of the characters. Deborah was trying to be the perfect mother, child, daughter, doctor. We all wear masks for the people around us. Who do not want to disappoint our parents at any age. Parents have expectations of their children. What is the right balance between hope for a child and expectations.

Anger is such a big part of my life when things fail. The mother and daughter are both angry with the father for leaving. Sometimes you just have to let go of anger to get through life.

At the same time I was jealous of her sister who lived her life like she wanted to. She opened a bakery and made it work. She was a success by following her heart.

It was not a great book but I could relate to somethings.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret Between Us.