Jan's Reviews > Private Arrangements

1931718
May 30, 11

bookshelves: romance, z-2011, historical-romance
Read from May 29 to 30, 2011

I find this book hard to rate. I loved the characters and the story, but felt very dissatisfied with how short the resolution was. After all the suffering and the hurt and the sadness, I felt that the reader, but mostly Gigi and Camden deserved more written happiness together.

It's beautifully written though, and the flashbacks mix perfectly with the current story. It's extra painful to see two people fall in love at the same time while you see them 10 years later, when there's such a vast gap between them. I have to admit at times I despaired if they would overcome everything that had happened between them.

It's a story about second chances, but it's mostly a story about two soulmates who are too much alike. They both understand the consequences of their actions while they are doing them, but they are both proud and stubborn, and have a "all's fair in love and war" attitude. It's painful to see that it's exactly this attitude that costs them their love.

Sometimes I wanted to force them to actually confess to each other how much they loved each other, but unlike other stories where the conflict could be solved way sooner if the protagonists would just communicate, here I understood why they couldn't.

They were just so convinced that what they had done was unrepairable.

So yeah, for the angst and bittersweetness of the story, the great originality of the characters, and the wonderful writing and flashbacks this book ranks amongst my favorites. The ending just was too rushed and sudden. I wanted more happiness.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Private Arrangements.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Juliana (new)

Juliana Great review!