Emily's Reviews > Hick

Hick by Andrea Portes

4319857
Apr 26, 11

bookshelves: books-i-own, favorites, coming-of-age, road-trip, covers-i-love, family-drama, southern
Read from April 23 to 26, 2011

Wow. This is a book that takes a bit to fully digest. Andrea Portes really knows her shit for this being a debut novel. I found out about this because it is being made into a movie, and the story line sounding like my kinda thing. Young girl coming of age in the south, I dunno why, but I am a sucker for coming of age novels. Even more so when they take place in the south. Not sure why, I've never been to the south, but what can you do? This is a gritty novel in a way. The things that 13 year old Luli (it was supposed to be Lucy, but she couldn't say it and her parents gave up) gets herself into are a bit rough. Her parents are both drunks and she decides to leave and go to Las Vegas. Along the way she meets two people that will change her life (not to be dramatic or anything) Glenda and Eddie. They get her into some deep shit for lack of a better word.

Luli is a fantastic narrator. She is blunt, brave, interesting, smart and flawed. She really is a character that will stay with me for a while. I found myself thinking about her hours after I finished the novel. The pacing was great, the few situations that might really bother a person, were done in a way that let you (like Luli) sort of take yourself out of what was happening. This is one that I am glad I own, and I am almost sure I will read again and again.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hick.

04/25/2011 page 166