Pat Amsden's Reviews > Switched

F 50x66
Mar 20, 2011

bookshelves: fantasy
Read in March, 2011

With all the buzz about Amanda Hocking I just had to find out what the actual books were like. So I purchased Switch for a whopping .99. It would have been well worth it at ten times that. Amanda Hockings is a first class story teller and this book is strangely addictive. It starts with Wendy, a six year old throwing a temper tantrum at her birthday party and her mother losing it and taking a knife to her screaming, 'you're not my daughter'. Definitely dramatic! We then fast forward to Wendy at 17, a moody teenager who doesn't quite fit in, but her brother and her aunt (her mother is in a mental home) do love her. Finn shows up in her new school and when two other strange characters attack her one night takes her back to his world, which is actually her world. Yes she really isn't her mother's child. She's a changeling who's been switched at birth and is now being brought home to become a princess of the Trylle, her people. I won't spoil it by telling you the rest of the story but I will say it has interesting characters, a story-line that keeps you wondering what's going to happen next and an ending that satisfies but leaves you wondering what's going to happen next which is why I bought Torn, the next book in her trilogy.

For purists there are a few (very few) typos in the book and small grammatical errors. This is why I gave it a four star.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Switched.