CJ - Drop Dead Cute's Reviews > An Offer From a Gentleman

An Offer From a Gentleman by Julia Quinn

Jun 19, 11

bookshelves: faerie-tale-with-a-twist, family, historical-romance, london-england, romance, beach-read
Read from June 18 to 19, 2011

4.2

Another entertaining and good story (solid writing and dialogue +5 charisma points) about the Bridgerton clan. This one is about Benedict or Number Two and Sophie Beckett, the bastard by-blow of a jerk Earl.

It's pretty much Cinderella retold and you know from the start the kind of life that Sophie is going to have to lead. However, it's a nice twist because it plants Cinderella (Sophie in this case) in the early Regency period of London and she is forced to experience that life in all of its ugly ways.

Enter Benedict, they met at a masquerade ball and Sophie fell in love with him from the word 'get'. Benedict fell as well but three years have passed and Benedict hasn't found his mystery woman but he has found Sophie (view spoiler)

We all know that this story ends happily but it's a great ride getting there. I really felt for Sophie and those harrowing moments she experienced, I definitely gasped in the middle of the train (which is where I read a majority of this). I rejoiced with her and I felt for her. I also really liked Benedict, he's softer than Anthony and it was nice to see that. I'm still a little annoyed with Daphne so every time I see her in a scene I sort of frown.

Anyhoo, good story, re-imagined plot, excellent dialogue and the scenes between Benedict and Sophie were fraught with chemistry and something a touch deeper; love.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Offer From a Gentleman.