Debra Driza's Reviews > Mockingjay

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Mar 20, 2011

liked it

(I'd rate Mockingjay 3.5 stars if I could figure out how to do that)

Trying to catch up on reviews! I read this when it first came out, and I was so SO excited for the final installment. I read both Hunger Games and Catching Fire in one sitting, couldn't devour them fast enough.

And while I read Mockingjay quickly, too, it wasn't quite the same experience. In the other two, I was totally caught up in the moment, completely enthralled with the story. And with this one, I think I kept flipping the pages in hopes I would get to what I wanted to see happen...but it never really did.

I take full responsibility for any disappointment. I obviously went into reading this book with preconceived notions of how I wanted things to play out, specifically between Katniss and Peeta. I'm a huge romantic, and while I know this series really wasn't a romance--darn it, I STILL wanted my huge, romantic moments. Alas, no such luck.

Don't get me wrong--there were parts that I really loved (mainly surrounding Peeta---real, or not real?) But I did find the pace to be slower than in the first two. Also, the climax seemed a bit rushed to me.

This really was a good book, and in all honesty, probably deserves a higher rating. I guess I just loved the first two so much more, that I had to lower this rating in comparison. I'm sure I'll still re-read the entire series in the future though--and I'll be curious to see if Mockingjay grows on me more then.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mockingjay.

08/29/2016 marked as: read