Erika's Reviews > Firebird

Firebird by L.K. Rigel

Jul 27, 11

bookshelves: 2011, fiction, fantasy, science-fiction, review-books-suddenly, completed-series
Read from April 17 to July 19, 2011

My previously published review on Part 1- Blue Amber (4/5):

My thoughts on Part 2 – Chalice and Part 3 – Dragon & Phoenix

I’ve been looking forward to Bleeder ever since I picked up my copy of Space Junque some time last fall. That being said, I had a lot of expectations going into this. L.K. Rigel has succeeded for the most part in fulfilling those expectations.

Once again, the world building is magnificent. Every time I pick up a new one of these books a whole new slice of the world is expanded upon and I just become more and more fascinated by it. It’s like looking at the world through a straw in Space Junque, through a key hole in Spiderwork, a window in Blue Amber, and now a door. I’m always amazed at just how complex and interesting the people and places can get.

The characters are fantastic. Mallory’s growth and development and the way L.K. Rigel has made me feel about her is so wonderful. It’s very refreshing to have a character not just where I feel sorry for her or want to get what she wants, but one that to the very end I just feel pride in. Garrick and Edward are both real hotties and loved having that evil vs good thing going on here. Although Garrick is maybe a little bit too evil and I was hoping just a little that this Garrick wouldn’t be. But he did keep the story really interesting. And I couldn’t quite figure out if Edward’s plans for his city were good or bad but that kept the story really interesting as well.

As for the Gods Asherah and Samael, and the empanii, I’m just not sure. I kind of didn’t like Asherah in this one. She just seemed jealous and needy. Especially when she went on her rants about Samael. I didn’t like how she refused to tell Mallory what was going on with her either. I liked Father Jesse, Samael’s priest probably the most out of all the authority figures in the story, probably because there is so much mystery surrounding who he is, but that was a little confusing since I was so on Asherah’s side up until Bleeder! The empanii story was really interesting. I just kept thinking “what are they up to?” the entire time which made me want to keep reading even more.

My biggest problem of all though was I found so much of the timeline just so confusing! I’m not sure why I had such a big problem with this but I did. My concern probably lay with the quarantine. This just isn’t really explained very well. I couldn’t tell when the women were pregnant and which man they were with in some parts of the story. Then the addition of the empanii interacting with the characters just made this even more confusing than it was. If it wasn’t for this part, Bleeder would be getting a much higher rating from me.

Overall, this was such a wonderful, empowering story to read. I felt like the women really were in control of their own destinies, the characters were charming and fascinating to watch, and the story itself was filled to the brim with so much to ponder – something I always look forward to when choosing a book.

Rating: 3/5

Overall rating for all three parts: 3.75/5
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Firebird.