Trix's Reviews > A Dish Served Cold

A Dish Served Cold by Andrew Ashling

Jul 23, 11

bookshelves: abuse, angst, coming-out, mm-novels, teenagers
Read on July 22, 2011, read count: 1

I was very impressed by the book (so much, it gave me a bad dream last night).

Perhaps I got too immersed in the story that I didn't sense a repetitive pattern in describing the horrors of indentured servitude. I was actually sucked in by the telling, horrified and apprehensive of what would happen to the main character (what any human being would experience going through something like that).

And then I was drawn by the myriad of characters parading in the story, from Sean, the kindhearted best friend, Toby, the team assistant and part time sexual partner to the team members, Eric, the knight in shinning armor that in turn gets his protegee to save him, to Davey, partner, soulmate, lover, friend and brother. Each unique in their own way and bringing flavor to the story.

I was a bit surprised by the style of writing at first but gradually, it helped me to better feel the story. And it was clever to add the last bit, an overview of what happened afterwards, 100 after the events and by none other than the descendent. It was emotional and intense. But it will be quite a while before I feel like re-reading it, thus the 4 star rating.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Dish Served Cold.