Anne-Marie's Reviews > Pippi Longstocking

Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren

Mar 20, 11

bookshelves: humor, redhead
Recommended to Anne-Marie by: my mom :)
Recommended for: Everyone!
I own a copy, read count: 5?

This was my absolute FAVORITE book when I was little! I was Pippi for Halloween in third grade... heehee. It's about this funky little girl who's nine years old. She lives all alone, "which of course was very nice because there were no parents around to make her drink cod liver oil when she much preferred caramel candy." (I'm quoting from MEMORY here, because I read it so many times!) Pippi doesn't go to school, and she owns a monkey named Mr. Nelson and a horse that lives on her porch. She lives in Sweden (actually, the book was translated from Swedish), and she makes friends with two neighboring kids, Tommy and Annika. Tommy and Annika are brought up to be proper little children, and Pippi always gets them into mischief (but they love her, of course!).
Throughout the trilogy, Pippi outsmarts all the adults in her life, and she eventually goes off to live for awhile with her father, a cannibal king on a far-off island.
I remember her full name: Pippilotta Delicatessa Windowshade Mackerelmint Ephraim's Daughter Longstocking.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pippi Longstocking.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Seligsohn Anne-Marie,

Thanks for the great review! Pippi didn't go to school, but she wanted to .... so she could take vacations.

This is Nancy, the book's illustrator. I agree with you. The book is a spoof of society. What I noticed, illustrating it, is the humor in the book. Which illustration did you like best?

Anne-Marie Hi Nancy! Sorry it took me so long to reply. It was really nice of you to write to me, I feel honored! :) As you saw I have always loved the Pippi books -- I have several versions and love the illustrations. Yours in particular are so cute and fit the story very well. My favorite illustration is the one where Pippi, Tommy, and Annika are sitting at a picnic enjoying themselves. I also like the one where Pippi has a cracked egg on her head... it's very funny and captures her perfectly. I love reading and hope to be a writer and illustrator! You must be so proud to have been a part of the Pippi books. Thanks again.