Kemper's Reviews > The Walking Dead, Vol. 13: Too Far Gone

Mar 21, 11

liked it
bookshelves: 2011, apocalypse-now, comics, zombies, horror
Read from March 20 to 21, 2011

When civilization finally does collapse and I’m left in the post-apocalyptic wasteland scrounging for weapons, books and tacos, I’m going to be one of those loner types like Mad Max. No joining up with up roving marauders or settling into some fortified compound for me. That’s because The Walking Dead has taught me one sure rule: Being surrounded by decaying cannibal zombies in the ruins of society may suck but normal people suck even more.

Rick and his crew have found a small community that has managed to secure themselves from the zombie hordes and live in a somewhat normal fashion. However, their time battling the undead and various human scum has taken a heavy toll on Rick. He’s had to do so many terrible things to survive that he’s fallen into the trap of thinking that he’s the only one capable of making the hard choices needed. So his uneasiness and lack of trust in their new community pushes him to steal and hide weapons as well as deal with an abusive husband on his own terms. Is Rick right to mistrust the people in their new home? Or has he become a paranoid nutjob unable to live among people?

Another solid entry in the The Walking Dead series, and it got me geeked up for the return of the AMC show later this year. But while it’s an intriguing new twist on the series, this one had the feel up of being mostly set-up for later stories.
16 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Walking Dead, Vol. 13.

message 1: by Stephen (new)

Stephen I have the first book in this series and am hoping to get to it soon.

Kemper It's a great series but stock up on anti-depressants.

message 3: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Kemper wrote: "It's a great series but stock up on anti-depressants."

That's good, solid advice for anytime. :)

Mister Slice Excellent review. Nevertheless, I disagree with your rating because this is the first time we get to see Rick in what can be described as "a normal setting" and the questions that Robert Kirkman poses are truly essential: can someone re-adapt to normalcy?