Dorothyanne Brown's Reviews > Blessed Are the Cheesemakers

Blessed Are the Cheesemakers by Sarah-Kate Lynch

Mar 20, 11

Read in March, 2011

To give full context, I'm in the middle of a move, tied up with family concerns, and otherwise surviving the end of a particularly nasty winter. I kept this book out of the packed file because I planned to read it and leave it behind.
Within the first few pages, I realized that there was no way I could do that. I have to keep this sweet, loveable book nearby. The magical cheese farm of the Josephs Corrigan and Feehan, with its gaggle of singing pregnant milkmaids and cows that milk best to the Sound of Music, the tales of how to make wonderful cheese, and the many many threads of lives that have been tangled together made me smile, weep, and laugh out loud. I fell in love at the first description of the Princess Grace cheese, languishing in a fridge somewhere and gradually getting more annoyed (and smelly); I smiled with recognition at the earnest husband doing "good works" in a perfectly fine island community for the sole purpose of self-aggrandizement; I loved the townspeople and their antics and stories; I cheered as each character came into their own.
It's not a complex story, but it is laced with wisdom, running like a fine line of blue through a cheese. Parts of it have the slightly cheeky smell of a good Stilton. Parts of it glide down the throat like a creamy Brie. All of it fills the heart.
Key thing is, I ended it with a smile on my face, a tear in my eye, a hunger for some really good cheese, and a strong desire to go to Ireland. Or in some way, to head towards where I feel is home.
Loved it.
And I've got to say the title is one of the best I've seen.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blessed Are the Cheesemakers.