Jessica's Reviews > Five Quarters of the Orange

Five Quarters of the Orange by Joanne Harris

Jun 24, 08

Read in June, 2008

I started off enjoying this book. And then my enjoyment faded. The two things that stood out in my mind that I did not care for were this:
1) The story is narrated by a woman, 1/2 of the time when she was 9 and the other half when she was an adult. Her narattion as a child was annoying - she was manipultive towards her mom to the point of cruelty, and she had a negative "know-it-all" attitude towards her older siblings. Newscast kid, you're only 9, stop talking and acting like you're an independent woman of the world.

2) There were several incidents within the story line where I felt like the author alluded to something happening, versus straight up communicating what did/did not happen. That was annoying, what am I supposed to think happened? I don't like having things inferred. This made me decide that if I ever write a book, I will be sure to communicate exactly what is happening in the story line, versus inferring what might/might not be.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Five Quarters of the Orange.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Ricardo they have to be olders very fast, if u saw in the book, the father die and, the mother had problems with control, so they had be adults alones, ok,