Jessica's Reviews > Five Quarters of the Orange

Five Quarters of the Orange by Joanne Harris

Feb 16, 2008

it was ok
Read in June, 2008

I started off enjoying this book. And then my enjoyment faded. The two things that stood out in my mind that I did not care for were this:
1) The story is narrated by a woman, 1/2 of the time when she was 9 and the other half when she was an adult. Her narattion as a child was annoying - she was manipultive towards her mom to the point of cruelty, and she had a negative "know-it-all" attitude towards her older siblings. Newscast kid, you're only 9, stop talking and acting like you're an independent woman of the world.

2) There were several incidents within the story line where I felt like the author alluded to something happening, versus straight up communicating what did/did not happen. That was annoying, what am I supposed to think happened? I don't like having things inferred. This made me decide that if I ever write a book, I will be sure to communicate exactly what is happening in the story line, versus inferring what might/might not be.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Five Quarters of the Orange.

Ricardo they have to be olders very fast, if u saw in the book, the father die and, the mother had problems with control, so they had be adults alones, ok,

Rose Phillips The protagonist isn't particularly nice, as a child or an adult. But can't you remember the powerlessness and frustration of being a child when adults belittled or humiliated you? My mother was a far cry from the mother in the book, but she was more imposing to my brother and me than she ever realized--often made us feel stupid and worthless, though that wasn't her intention. And children teased me in school, so that many years I truly believed I was unintelligent. So I can sympathize with the protagonist's desire to hurt those who hurt her. If you have children, I hope to God you're more sensitive to them than you are to the 9-year-old protagonist.