Kathleen's Reviews > Pitchforks and Torches: The Worst of the Worst, from Beck, Bill, and Bush to Palin and Other Posturing Republicans

Pitchforks and Torches by Keith Olbermann

2028832
Mar 20, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction, political, read-in-2011
Read in March, 2011

I enjoyed this collection of segments from Countdown because Olbermann is unquestionably eloquent, passionate, and intelligent. Since his views correspond well with my own, reviewing them on paper is an excellent way to improve my own expressions later. Yes, we all tortured people and we all need to take responsibility for that because this is a representative democracy. Yes, the assassination of George Tillman was perpetrated by a man looking for violence and using a philosophy to excuse it as is clearly demonstrated by the way he turned on the other churchgoers. And yes, anyone who says the Teaparty started as something other than racist backlash is ridiculously uninformed or lying.

Still, as nice as it might be to review the words of a good speaker who agrees with me, this book is some of the most depressing work I have read in a long time. Looking at 2009 in this kind of retrospective it is only clear to me how many battles we have lost. Watching again that bright, hopeful beginning dash abruptly on the rocky economy before floundering in the depths of mismanaged health care reform really isn't my favorite way to spend a weekend.

Well written, but I only recommend this book for those who can find some enjoyment in remembering the nightly news.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pitchforks and Torches.