Susan's Reviews > Fire

Fire by Kristin Cashore

May 10, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, fiction, young-adult, series
Read in May, 2012

As in Graceling, the depth of the characters and the complexities of their relationships drive this book and make it rich and wonderful.

Leck felt like the pure personification of evil, essentially from the moment of his birth, and I was glad when the book moved away from him to deal with Fire and the other inhabitants of the Dells. But having already read Graceling, I kept waiting for what I expected would be a little more resolution or explanation about Leck before the book was over.

The title character, Fire, is another amazing female character (like Katsa in Graceling): full of insecurities, but also possessed of incredible grace and honor and courage and love. Even though the book is told in the third-person, the narrator lets us see Fire's thoughts and feelings, so we see the world through her eyes.

Underpinning the plot is the fascinating nature of the characters of the Dells: there are "regular" species and monsters, in both human and non-human creatures. Fire is a human monster, and what this means determines much of what she is capable of and what happens to her.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fire.