Cynthia's Reviews > Dead by Midnight

Dead by Midnight by Carolyn Hart

Apr 28, 2011

bookshelves: goodreads-first-reads

I received Dead By Midnight through the Goodreads First Reads program and this is my first experience reading Carolyn Hart. Once again, I've picked a great series by a great writer. And once again, I will be going back to the beginning to read the Death on Demand series in order.

I read a bit about Carolyn Hart prior to receiving my copy of the book. I now understand why some think she is a modern day version of Agatha Christie. The plot of Dead By Midnight is complex but Hart weaves the intricate storyline into a dynamite cozy whodunit.

And what's not to like about it? The heroine, Annie Darling, runs a mystery bookstore on an island off the coast of the Carolinas. A bucketful of mystery authors and their works are mentioned whenever convenient. (ah, nothing like being handed recommendation after recommendation) The husband, Max, is a PI of sorts. Both of them get involved in an unofficial investigation into the death of someone Annie just hired to work in her shop after she had been let go by the law firm she had been with for years. The death is thought to be a suicide but Annie doesn't believe it and she sets out to prove murder, as a much larger and sinister plot unfolds.

This book was very enjoyable and I look forward to heading back to the very beginning. Death on Demand, here I come.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead by Midnight.