Vicki Keire's Reviews > A Chance for Charity

A Chance for Charity by S.L. Baum

Mar 19, 11

bookshelves: ya-paranormal

I really enjoyed this first book in The Immortals series. I admit I've had my eye on it for a long time and I'm kind of annoyed at myself for waiting as long as I did. Baum crafts a completely enchanting world on two levels: both the mundane and the arcane. I have never been to Telluride. Baum's gift for describing setting is wonderful. I am a beach person, and after reading her book, I actually think I might want to brave the hated snow and visit what seems like a charming little town. She managed to make what I always thoght of as a jaded resort seem like a charming little town. The same is true for her Immortals world. She inches the readers into her mythology. Only after Link is fully in do we get a sense of the scope and depth of this world. I don't want to reveal too much for fear of spoiling things, but she's got lots of room to expand this universe, and I can't wait to see what happens with the sequel.
I was hooked when Charity dresses up for her history presentation in a vintage WWII outfit. The detailed way in which Baum described Charity's preparations, from her make up to her hairstyle down to the type of fabric and the stitching on the outfit, showed without telling just how defining a moment this was for Charity. For me, this was the turning point in the book. I knew then I was immersed in a story about something much deeper than a teenage heroine with a paranormal secret who happened to be falling in love. Fans of the genre are in for a treat as the book becomes more and more complex, and less like others in its class, as it progresses.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Chance for Charity.