Jon-Kyle's Reviews > Catalyst

Catalyst by S.L. Armstrong

Jul 05, 11

Read from March 28 to May 27, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** This book *would* be a pretty quick read, but I could only read in small amounts at a time because my family has this affinity for barging into my room without knocking. That being said, I rather enjoyed this book. There are a few typos here and there (understandable when you're self-publishing) that are easy to dismiss and probably wouldn't be noticeable unless you're a Grammar Nazi like me.

The plot, though a bit...far-fetched, isn't bad. If you can silence the part of your brain saying, "Yeah, this would *definitely* happen," then you will be able to enjoy the plot. It goes something like this: one man needs help with his BDSM fetish that reaches into blood-play. He goes to a gay therapist that eventually becomes his sub that has an obsession with being perfect. Due to his obsession, he gets farther and farther into blood-play and other extreme forms of BDSM like severe bull whipping and breath-play, risking his life to try to be the best sub possible. His health and life crumble around him and his original dom swoops in to save him.

The plot points might be somewhat difficult to accept as possible, but it doesn't really matter because every word between the plot points is well-written and it's an enjoyable story. It's probably not one that will stick with me for years to come (a la The Book Thief) but it is a book worth reading if you enjoy M/M fiction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catalyst.